There is a mathematician in all of us
Our Maths program
At St Kilda Park Primary School we encourage our students to believe that there is a mathematician in all of us. We value a strong understanding of core mathematical concepts as the solid foundation for a lifetime of numeracy, rather than surface-level rote-learning of processes.
We dedicate time to teaching authentic problem-solving strategies for solving a range of real world problems. Across the school, we start the school day with Maths at 9am.
A clear and consistent direction
We have developed a consistent school-wide lesson approach that includes:
- Number Fluency Task: a quick number game or activity that engages students and quickly immerses them in thinking mathematically
- Launch: explicit teaching of a concept or skill
- Discovery: time for students to explore a new concept or skill.
- Summary: students reflect on the outcomes of the lesson by focusing on what they have learnt and what they would like to learn
The Mathematics curriculum focuses on developing:
- Mathematical understanding
These capabilities enable students to respond to familiar and unfamiliar situations by employing mathematics to make informed decisions and solve problems effectively.